WE HAVE MOVED TO WWW.GLVBX.COM

Artist organization, GLOVEBOX is hosting its first ever film festival June 11th at the Somerville Theatre. This juried festival will showcase short films and animations from emerging artists. The Festival is also hosting a mini poetry slam in between films.



Saturday, April 2, 2011

Glovebox Film Festival Poster!

Song: 'the truth hurts so this should be painless' by Her Space Holiday

We are SO EXCITED to unveil the work of Valerie Arruda for theGlovebox Short Film and Animation Festival! 

We approached Val because we love her funky, super-creative drawings and check out her lettering on her blog! Swoon-fest!

We asked Val about her process and in the spirit of the film festival, she made this great vlog (see above).
"I like to pack a lot into my drawings so I make little lists in the margins of my paper, that way I won't forget what I want to include in the drawing."
Val tells us about her process, which she describes as being "very rough". We beg to differ - everything Val draws seems to unravel in an organic style that is all her own. Whether flirty scalloped letterforms or feisty, one-eyed wolf-like characters, her work is always dynamic and we can't get enough! She told us that the idea for the drawing for the Glovebox Film Festival poster came easily and it looks like she had fun doing it!


"The slowest part was probably the lettering. Hand lettering can be tedious at times however letters are one of my favorite things to draw! It's so satisfying once you get the letters the way you want."
Valerie describes her creative process that we see in the vlog and how she arrives at the final product. We love seeing the photoshop process and the finishing touches of the deckled edge. Nicely done!
 "The final image actually contains two separate drawings. I didn't decide on the design of the bottom of the poster. I made xerox copies of the initial drawing and drew on those, allowing me to try different treatments. I tend to think like an illustrator, so it's tricky to wake up the designer in my brain. Drawing a picture comes naturally, but having that picture contain information and interact with type is definitely a unique task. It helps me when I sketch out different ideas and lay them all out in front of me when deciding on a solution. To sum up, I had a blast making this poster and thank you Glovebox for the artistic freedom!"
Thank YOU Val!

Check out more of Val's work and leave her a comment on her blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment